Gary Beechum - VCRO
SPC’s Interim IT Chief Revenue Officer Engagements to Address Your IT Organization’s Sales Challenges
As a result of an internal evaluation of your growth strategy, you realize that your sales effectiveness and outcomes leave something to be desired. You understand that nothing short of a redesign and strengthening of your lead generation and ongoing sales processes and procedures is needed in order to break past prior revenue plateaus and position the organization to maximize top-line revenue growth, along with improving bottom-line profits.
You realize that the strategies that resulted in your current growth have hit an impasse, and only a complete restructuring of your sales organization and the hiring and training of new resources; including appointment-setters, account executives and account managers, and eventually the appointment of a sales manager and a CRO, will properly prepare the organization to achieve the next level of growth and the next, and so on.
The achievement of these outcomes will rely heavily on a strong leadership approach; and effective strategic and tactical planning and execution, and will necessitate the active support and ownership of key internal staff at multiple levels for ultimate success.
You require objective, skilled, third-party assistance to safeguard the transition and guarantee the efﬁcacy of the approaches used during the transition period. In addition, you need ideas, insights and proven methods used in similar situations elsewhere to deal with known dynamics such as the challenges of developing an effective organizational chart that allows for your expected sales and resultant company growth and designing and implementing new sales training processes and procedures to quickly On-Board and enable new sales resources.
You will also need assistance in developing key metrics to analyze sales performance, establishing appropriate roles and responsibilities of internal and external sales resources, holding sales teams and individuals accountable to execution, hiring and developing the capabilities and effectiveness of sales resources to sell successfully on value to maintain margins, accelerate sales velocity and close higher-value sales, promote or hire a sales manager to sustain growth, and later a CRO to contribute to, manage, and direct sales resources and outcomes, and so on.
In order to realize your sales growth objectives, we recommend providing you a consulting engagement that will:
- Establish a baseline measurement of your organization’s performance in areas of Recruiting, Lead Generation, Sales, Sales Engineering and Sales Management
- Identify your desired state of a repeatable training process for; and performance improvement in, each of these areas in order to achieve your stated goal of closing more high-margin sales to strategic prospects in new and existing vertical markets
- Develop a strategy that will accelerate the attainment of your stated goals and define the criteria for success for the sales organization, as well as for the overall business
- Design a roadmap broken down by phases comprised of tactical activities to achieve the established success criteria
- Develop a process to measure performance
- Work with your team to provide the marketing, sales, sales engineering and sales management guidance, training, processes and procedures, tools and performance audits and recommendations for improvement to achieve the established success criteria
- Include audit, review and recommendations for improvement in financial performance, solution stack, vendor and fulfillment partner relationships, market penetration and overall marketing strategy, sales approach, compensation and commission plans, hiring, ongoing training and client satisfaction
- Delivery of the consulting engagement via onsite and remote meetings and consultations, and leverage our online project management systems, IT Business Builder Training and Resource Center and KPI tools and your CRM platform for visibility and accountability of the performance of all resources on our respective teams
During the engagement, we focus on developing new online and live On-Boarding and ongoing training and enablement curriculum for the existing; and any new, recruiters, business development representatives, inside sales executives and sales professional personnel, and deliver live, onsite lead generation and sales training on a monthly basis, as well as weekly sales training and sales management sessions delivered via phone and desktop screen-sharing sessions.
The outcome of this phase of the engagement is to ensure a minimum number of business development representatives are effectively generating an expected number of sales appointments, and all inside sales representatives and sales professionals are trained in the 7 Step Sales Process, Question Based Selling methodologies and Million Dollar Consulting best practices, and are employing same during sales activities.
We conduct the role of the interim sales manager and CRO during the entire engagement, and participate in live prospect and client sales appointments for training purposes.
We feel that these initiatives provide your organization the most effective means of realizing its sales growth goals and accelerating ROI.
SPC International’s VCRO Consulting Engagement Value to Your Organization is Multifold, Including:
Continually increasing sales results month over month and quarter over quarter will be realized by these and additional activities:
- Evaluate/Modify/Create new lead generation, appointment-setting, sales, sales training, sales engineering and sales management processes to grow the sales team, increase top-line revenues and improve bottom-line profits
- Deliver new lead generation, appointment-setting, sales, sales training, sales engineering and sales management training to appropriate resources via online learning and live training sessions delivered onsite
- Evaluate/Modify/Create new appointment-setting scripts specific to target vertical markets and deliver training and role-playing sessions with appointment-setting resources to get past gatekeepers and increase DM conversation numbers
- Participate in live, onsite sales appointments, sales calls and proposal development and presentation activities to help close opportunities as a component of sales training with all sales resources
- Create an organizational chart with each and every role that will need to be filled over time to grow the company to achieve revenue milestones in phases, and to be used as a hiring and management roadmap to fill critical roles to support growth goals
- Review each and every sales resource and their role and compensation plan to identify suitability for their existing role; potential for reorganization, release or promotion and review and/or modify compensation plans to improve performance and profitability over time
- Evaluate/Modify and advise in investing in new tools and technologies to support a greater degree of lead generation and sales performance and provide the business intelligence required to manage the sales organization and staff as effectively as possible to achieve revenue growth milestones
- Work directly with the current lead generation and sales and sales engineering staff to train and guide them through transitional processes and procedures and confirm their understanding of their role and responsibility, performance measurement and compensation plan and review process
- Assist in the hiring and training process for new recruiting and lead generation and sales and sales engineering staff and confirm their understanding of their role and responsibility, performance measurement and compensation plan and review process
- Report directly to the CEO and fulfill the virtual Sales Manager and CRO roles and work directly with the sales team as direct reports; and train, mentor and coach them to succeed as successful sales professionals
- Release underperforming sales staff and revise sales compensation plans and quotas, and train remaining sales staff to increase their focus and effectiveness, and build and execute a sales management process to guide their efforts at building a healthy, flowing pipeline
- Design a succession strategy for the Sales Manager role and assist in the sales manager’s On-Boarding, transition and training to take over day-to-day operational sales management responsibilities and free current leadership to become more strategic in their business and revenue growth responsibilities
In order to help you realize greater mid to long-term overall sales, our deliverables include; but are not limited to, the following:
- Hiring and training additional new sales resources over time
- The release and replacement of underperforming sales resources over time
- Continual training, role-playing and onsite sales appointment participation and support
You should expect to realize increased profit margins, as:
- Processes and procedures are improved to increase efficiencies in marketing and sales
- Marketing and sales processes reflect higher-value services
- Sales teams leverage value-based sales tactics to eliminate price negotiation and margin erosion
- Sales Engineering processes are tuned to ensure proper sales support
Realization of higher ancillary revenues (contributing to increased overall revenues) is expected through the identification of additional up-sell and cross-sell service opportunities with customers
You will experience greater brand awareness, visibility and your positioning as the clear leader among your competitors, and obvious choice to fulfill the needs of Professional Services, Cloud and Managed Services clients as a result of our engagement
A key benefit resulting from our engagement will be to demonstrate that major changes can be managed by existing staff without loss of focus or effectiveness on normal priorities
Avoidance of productivity loss by staff will be realized by focusing on the future and the business outcomes, and not the transition and perceived disadvantages
Even greater stature in the eyes of your leadership, stakeholders and staff will be realized as the positive results and ROI of our engagement are observed, justifying the decision to strategically engage with SPC and other outside firms to grow your business
Engaging with SPC is expected to improve your organization’s overall sales acumen, growth and performance in existing and new markets with strategic clients to accelerate and increase Cloud and Managed Services sales and sales value, and establish a playbook to replicate this success in additional markets in the future.
Specific outcomes include resulting in a sales organizational restructuring, hiring and training exercise that will properly prepare and position you for growth far exceeding your current revenue plateau.
It will establish a repeatable training process and operational playbook in the recruiting, lead generation, sales and sales engineering departments comprised of effective processes and procedures to increase sales and support rapid, profitable and sustainable growth.
In addition, it will focus on preparing a successor to fulfill the key sales manager position in the future for the organization, allowing your leadership the ability to focus their time more strategically to fuel growth.